Whispering Dunes is an area that was released on the 24th of January, 2020.
The Whispering Dunes is a massive desert-like area shrouded with dead trees and cacti, located on the main continent, said to be North-East of The Colosseum.
The Whispering Dunes is connected to Scallop Shores through The Gauntlet. Only after you have defeated the bandits that control the bridge may you pass, giving you access to The Gauntlet (Hunter Occupied). If you are in a party with a player that has not completed The Gauntlet, you must take it again to access the Whispering Dunes.
Multiple oases accompanied by palm trees are scattered around this wasteland, together with temple-like buildings in certain areas. Only a single town, the Outpost, can be found on the map.
The Whispering Dunes is the only area so far to feature a hydration mechanic during daytime which prevents stamina recovery and ultimately damages the player when stamina is fully depleted and is exhausted.
This can be avoided in several ways:
- Portable Water and the Aviators prevents this all together by constantly keeping you hydrated.
- Cactus Fruit can be consumed to fully replenish your stamina bar.
- Sand Sharks can be consumed to temporarily negate heat exhaustion for one full day-night cycle.
- The Assassin's Shadow Walk ability also allows you to fill your stamina bar.
- Standing in the water found in an oasis or the Outpost will grant a temporary hydrating effect, and standing in shade will allow for the stamina bar to recover at its usual rate.
Tal-Rey's Tomb is a sublocation in the Whispering Dunes that supposedly serves as a lobby for the Tal-Rey's Tomb The dungeon is not out yet, though it is Upcoming. The most likely entrance is north of the giant pyramid (found on the map below) where a large structure sits, surrounded by 4 corroded statues.
Vulture's Landing is a sublocation in the Whispering Dunes that's located to the western part of the desert (from The Gauntlet). It houses many monolithic rock structures and a variety of enemies and bosses (Deathstings, Sarakis the Impaler, and Auktufiti the Watcher.
In order to access Vulture's Landing, you must go near Auktufiti's Watchtower. There will be hanging "ropes" with a Bandit flag, and in order to reach the top, you must go up the easy-to-miss trails that spiral up the sand structures. When you reach the "ropes", you must either parkour up the ropes if you are a Hunter, or you can scale the opposite sand structure.
The Wurm Pit is a sublocation in the Whispering Dunes, located near Auktufiti's watchtower and Vulture's Landing, that is used as a farming spot for Dustwurms. The Wurm Pit's and Cacti Grove's entrance look similar, but they are located on opposite sides of the map. The Wurm Pit also contains an "obby" that, when completed, will give you a Sun Shard for the Sun Tablet quest.
The Hermit's Cave houses one inhabitant, 'Salasalal Salal', who trades Crystal Beetles for rare pieces of equipment.
The Hermit's Cave has a small entrance and can be hard to see right away. A player can access the Hermit's Cave by going up from Tetthafut's Anvil and going across the Scarab's flatlands.
After going across the flatlands there will be two pillars of stone, these pillars seem to be climbable but can only be climbed by Hunters with double jumps. There can be nothing found on top of these pillars. If one were to go past these pillars there would be a cannon that sends them back to around the center of the desert (the outpost). After going past this cannon one will encounter the Hermit's Cave.
These are the items Salasalal Salal has for sale. All the items here can only be bought with Crystal Beetles. A player can also obtain Crystal Beetles using 9 Broken Crystal Beetles here.
|Savage Shank||Hunter||60 Crystal Beetles
(540 Broken Crystal Beetles)
|One Good Hit|
|Savage Axe||Paladin||60 Crystal Beetles
(540 Broken Crystal Beetles)
|Sun-scorched Branch||Mage||60 Crystal Beetles
(540 Broken Crystal Beetles)
|Helm of an Ancient Order||Warrior||120 Crystal Beetles
(1080 Broken Crystal Beetles)
|Aviators||Adventurer||500 Crystal Beetles
(4500 Broken Crystal Beetles)
|You Look Great|
|Crystal Beetle||N/A||9 Broken Crystal Beetles|
Tal-Rey's Temple is a sublocation in the Whispering Dunes that is connected to The Lost Palace (Quest). It is the real name of The Lost Palace and is where Tal-Rey resides. It can be found by following the wall of the Whispering Dunes until you see sun-shaped disks.
Tethaffut’s Anvil is a sublocation in the Whispering Dunes. Its shape looks like the tip of an anvil, which points toward a nearby Bandit Camp. Players can find this sublocation by walking relatively straight from the entrance until finding a Bandit Camp, then continuing in the direction towards the anvil.
In order to traverse to the top, players must begin by going underneath into a canyon system housing Bandits and Bandit Skirmishers, then taking smaller paths that lead up to the platform where Scarab spawns. In the back of the anvil is a hole, which players must access to reach the top. This is one of the locations where players can find a missing page for the Lost Journal.
The Cacti Gorge is a sublocation in the Whispering Dunes. It can be found to the left of the entrance with a crevice in the walls of the dunes. The Cacti Gorge consists of many tall cacti and rocky structures that provide a path to parkour on. Reaching the end gives the player a Sun Shard, used for the Sun Shard Quest. It can prove to be quite tedious to some players as falling into the holes would cause trouble with navigation.
The Outpost is a sublocation in the Whispering Dunes. It can be considered a major town inside the center of the map. Many buildings and tents are built surrounding a large oasis, restoring Hydration. A merchant can be found in one of the buildings, however, only “archaeologists are allowed in there”, referring to the fact that the players must complete The Lost Palace (Quest). The sun shard quest giver can be found here.
Bandit camps are various locations around the Whispering Dunes, one of which contains a piece of the sun tablet. Defeating all the bandits in one will launch a chest from its main tower, inside it containing at least 95-120 silver. The bandits also give a decent amount of experience, and have several drops. As such, they are popular grinding spots for cash(and possibly experience)
- The Lost Palace (Quest) (Level 35+): Dr. Henry Bones' son, Mississippi Bones, has gone missing somewhere in the Whispering Dunes. This quest can only be enabled if you have the Lost Journal, which can be found in a tent near an oasis. This quest is started in the Gauntlet (Hunter Occupied).
- Sun Shard:
- Before the Whispering Dunes was released, Berezaa hosted a 'launch party' where he teleported a group of people to the place and gave them a tour.
- The Whispering Dunes is currently the largest map in-game.
- During the daytime, this area becomes notorious for its tendency to cause ping to skyrocket.
- Due to the high ping associated with this area bandits often times glitch and begin to move at a much slower.
- Players have often utilized the high ping while farming minibosses as a way to prevent them from ever attacking.
- As three of the four minibosses drop Cursed Scrolls, the Whispering Dunes is a popular area for players to farm.
- It is not an uncommon occurrence for fire pits to glitch causing their fire to be completely separated from them
- Mississippi Bones' name is a reference to Indiana Jones.
- Sun shards are often referred to as 'cheese' by players, as they resemble a block of cheese.
- Below is a map of the whispering dunes, and all the chest locations included.
(Credit to user bubbley552 for creation of this map)