Possum the Devourer is a horrifying Level 49 Boss (50 due to night) who rises in The Pit every hour (XX:00) when players are at its feeding chamber. This is definitely the most difficult and vile Boss in Vesteria, due to its variety of fast and hard-hitting attacks, its high level (which gives it an great amount of defense and damage), and its area being surrounded by toxic gas and acid.
It is not hard to assume that Possum is very nasty and terrible. It has the appearance of a ravaging Possum of immense size, likely alluding to it having encountered "radioactive" side-effects from staying in the horrendous conditions of The Pit for too long.
- Bite: Possum the Devourer will bite with terrible disturbing jaws, dealing a large amount of damage.
- Gnash: Possum the Devourer will gnash the player 20 painful times while holding you in its mouth, dealing damage 1/10 the strength of each Chomp, similar to one of the Scarab's attacks. Basically doing 2x more damage than chomp. People could use this as their advantage as when possum uses the move, people can attack without being countered back until possum finishes his gnash move.
- Repulsion: Possum the Devourer will blast the player away and leap tremendous distances back very sharply in an attempt to push you in the corrosive acid. This attack usually occurs when the player tries to attack Possum the Devourer from the different angles.
- Hyperopia: Sometimes Possum the Devourer will lock-on its heat seeking eyes to the farthest player and starts charging (running) at them to bash them with brute force or knock them off the thin steel grid. This will make the never- ending battle with Possum the Devourer harder for Hunters, as they need to move as they wield their bows.
- Vile Presence: While Possum the Devourer is alive, the flesh-melting acid below it will deal damage at a more rapid pace, which makes movement in battle a precise activity with little room for error.
For an in depth guide on how the boss should be fought, see Guide:Possum the Devourer Strategies.
- If there are less than 3 players, Possum The Devourer will not spawn in and a chat message would appear saying "The devourer wasn't tempted by the flesh of Vesterians. (3)".
- Possum the Devourer looks similar to Tough Rat, a rat appearing in Rick and Morty's "Pickle Rick" S3; E3. With Tough Rat being the most toughest and strongest rat.
- A possum in real life is a marsupial that is found in Australia and Southeast Asia.
- Possums in the United States are a completely different species of marsupial known as opossums; it's known for playing dead as a defense and have the most incisors of any mammal with a whopping 18. They are sometimes called 'possums to indicate the dropped O.
- Possum the Devourer could draw inspiration from carnivorous marsupials such as the Tasmanian devil.
- Possum the Devourer is often shortened to "Possum."
- Possum the Devourer has the highest base-level of any Mob in the game.
- Possum the Devourer's Gnash is similar to the Scarab's Chomp, while Repulsion is similar to the Hog's charge.
- Occasionally, a bug occurs where Possum the Devourer despawns mid-fight.
- This is due to Possum the Devourer's AI causing it to delete itself if it encounters an error.
- One proposed explanation for this phenomenon is that it is caused by reviving a player mid-fight, although this was a rumor used to troll people who grinded possum. Another explanation was it targeting a deceased player nearby.
- Update 8/7/2021, Possum the Devourer supposedly no longer despawns mid-fight, as it was mentioned in a changelog by a developer.
- Players have mentioned occurrences of Possum the Devourers drops/coins despawning earlier than they should.
- When Possum the Devourer rises from the depths, the server-wide roar reads "A horrifying monstrosity lurks in the depths..."
- Possum the Devourer has an actual level of 49 but due to The Pit removing the day/night cycle and replacing it with night, the level will always be 50. NOTE: The Day/Night cycle is broken for all places currently. Therefore the Possum is currently level 49.
- This boss is commonly complained about due to its low drop rate.
- Before 6/26/2021, the drop rate of all items were significantly lower.
- Due to an update regarding Possum's loot table, the drop rates have basically doubled.